Monday 7 August 2017

August #BookHaul

My to-read list for August, looks like this:

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness


My 14-year-old niece has been pestering me for a couple of years now, to read this book. Or at least, read my first Patrick Ness book. So, when I saw this book in my local library and recalled that it had recently been adapted for the big screen, I thought I'd pick it up. Needless to say, both my niece and I are looking forward to me reading this short novella. 

It's categorised as a Young Adult book, but since my niece read it a couple of years ago, I'd say it's probably aimed more towards younger readers, or at least, more suitable for them. "It's best not to know too much about what the book's about," advised my niece when I texted her to let her know I'd borrowed this book. And so, I decided to go into this book with an open mind and little knowledge about what it's about. How I prefer it, anyway!





Seconds Away (Mickey Bolitar #2) by Harlan Coben


This is the second and last book I borrowed from the library this month ~ strangely enough, not many books are catching my eye lately. Back in May, I'd attributed this to my reading slump, but perhaps I've now gone through all the books in the YA and teen section that I wanted to read?

When I picked it up, I didn't know it was the second book in the Mickey Bolitar series, a spin-off series to the Myron Bolitar series, one of my favourite crime thriller series of all time. It wasn't clear on the front or back cover. But I've read the Myron Bolitar series out of order, and I didn't find it too off-putting so we'll see...

Myron Bolitar is a sports agent that also ends up investigating and solving crimes, from murders and missing persons to entrapment of dangerous gangsters. In one of the last couple of books I read in that series, his teenage nephew Mickey was introduced. Therefore, this is most likely Harlan Coben's foray into the YA mystery/thriller genre.


Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5) by Sarah J. Maas



I downloaded this book ~ which needs no introduction since I've talked a lot about the Throne of Glass series on my blog ~ on my iPhone because I couldn't wait for my library to start stocking it. As it's the fifth book in the series, I can't say much about it, apart from the fact that this series is probably my favourite High Fantasy series of all time. Can't wait to continue the journey with my favourite assassin!














Relentless (Relentless #1) by Karen Lynch


I downloaded this urban fantasy (I think that's the genre; it doesn't sound like High Fantasy!) from the Kindle Store. It's a free series starter about a 17-year-old girl's efforts of unearthing the truth behind her father's brutal murder 10 years ago. She has many secrets and a powerful gift, but her investigation brings her face-to-face with an evil vampire. But it's okay because she meets a warrior intent on protecting her!










The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg



When I downloaded the Kindle App on my iPhone a while back, they gave me the opportunity to download up to 10 Kindle Books for free from a selection of popular titles. This book was one of them. It's about a magician's apprentice who learns how to manipulate paper with magic from a strange yet kind mentor. And when her mentor's life is in danger, she has to try and save him, facing dark and terrible magic.









Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison #1) by Jaymin Eve



Another one I picked from the Kindle App free offer. I don't read fantasy novels about shifters, but thought I'd give this a try. The cover was pretty and the description was interesting enough. It sounds like a prison break book ~ a couple of wolf shifters thrown into prison to prevent an ancient prophecy from coming true are trying to break out of the supernatural prison that contains all kinds of magical creatures.
















I'll review the books that I manage to finish at the end of the month, so make sure to come back for that!

Thank you for reading this post. If you're interested in my debut novel, click the image below to learn more about it:




Like all my other books, it's also available on:
iBooks   |   B&N Nook   |   Kobo |   Smashwords 


Book Details

Length: 110,000 words
Genre: Contemporary Romance / Clean Romance / Diverse Romance / Interracial Romance / Romantic Drama / Women’s Fiction

Mood: Inspirational / Feel Good / Coming of Age / Dark
Content: Sexy but No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: New Adult & College / Adult / Female Readers

Recommended for: Readers that enjoy romance novels with serious issues and characters with depth. This is a story about life, love, friendship, family, music, art, destiny and soul mates.


And the first two books in my teen urban fantasy/YA paranormal romance series, the Poison Blood series, can be downloaded for free via:

Amazon US|  Amazon UK|   iBooks US UK   |   B&N Nook Store   |   Smashwords







PB1 Book Details
Length: 29,000 words
GenreYA Paranormal Romance / Teen Vampire Romance / Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy / Teen & YA Urban Fantasy / Young Adult Science Fiction & Fantasy / Supernatural Romance / Fantasy Romance
Mood: Dark / Humorous / Coming of age
Content: No violence / No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: Teen / Young Adult / New Adult / Adult
Recommended for: Readers that love all things related to the Chosen One, vampires, slayers and witches!





By signing up to my mailing list, you will receive e-mails when I run free or discounted book offers and news on any new/upcoming releases.