Monday 4 September 2017

September #BookHaul #amreading

I can't believe it's already September! This year has gone so fast. Is it just me, or is time passing quicker and quicker with each year?

But September is going to be a good month for reading, because I found two books at my library that I've been meaning to get my hands on for a while:





I really enjoyed Lauren's Oliver's Delirium earlier this year, and was happy to see the sequel, Pandemonium.


This is a YA dystopian trilogy, and I'm really excited to see what happens in Pandemonium, especially after the heart-stopping ending to Book 1.

So, a little about Book 1 (because I can't tell you anything about Book 2 without spoiling you): 

Love is seen as a disease in this dystopian world, but there is a cure for it, a surgical procedure, which is thought to cure you. Well, prevent you from contracting this deadly illness, prevent you from falling in love.

But what if you're already in love before your procedure takes place?

What would you do?

Read this trilogy and find out. Book 1 was really good, the writing was clever and so beautiful ~ I highly recommend it for YA dystopia fans, as well as anyone who reads teen/YA fiction. My review of Delirium is in my May Wrap-Up post.

The other book I've been dying to read is Home by Harlan Coben.


Home is the 11th book in the Myron Bolitar series, my favourite crime series of all time. So, of course I've been itching to get my hands on it, especially since I read a little preview of it in Fool Me Once, by the same author (though not from the Myron Bolitar series), earlier this year.

If you're interested in my review of Fool Me Once, you can find it in my March Wrap-Up post.

A little background on this bestselling series:

Myron Bolitar is a sports agent that also ends up investigating and solving crimes, from murders and missing persons to entrapment of dangerous gangsters. He has a great sidekick/best friend that helps him out, who is one of my favourite thriller characters ever. His name is Win Lockwood, short for Windsor Horne Lockwood III, but don't be fooled by the title ~ Win is a serious badass.

But things have changed quite a bit now, 11 books into the series, so it'll be interesting to see how everything pans out. I. Can't. Wait. To. Read. This!

I also spotted the third book in the Mickey Bolitar series in the library, Found, also by Harlan Coben ~ I read book 2, Seconds Away, last month (review here).


Mickey is Myron's 16-year-old nephew, and like his uncle, he has a thing for investigating the mysterious, helping the needy. Playing the hero.

In Seconds Away, I found him to be just as likeable as Myron, and I'm interested to see what kinds of trouble he gets into in the third book in this spin-off series.

It is a YA series, but Harlan Coben's fans will enjoy it too. Well, I certainly enjoyed Seconds Away.










I'm in bit of a crime/thriller mood at the moment, so I thought I'd catch up on one of the paperbacks on my personal bookshelf, and finally get around to reading...

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes


I purchased this book a while back from WHSmiths (I had some book tokens leftover from years ago; I'd won them at a poetry competition in my teens) and had planned to read it earlier in the year (perhaps in my first Book Haul post), but I didn't get around to it. Lately, I've found myself procrastinating when it comes to books and e-books that I own, favouring the books I borrow from the library because of the limited amount of time I have to read them.

I Am Pilgrim was a huge success when it came out and I believe it's a complex thriller? I do like starting books with little knowledge of the plot and so on, preferring to discover everything as the characters do. With thrillers, I think it's better to go into them blind. So that's what I'm going to do.

However, if you'd like to learn more about this book, and the others in this post, just click on the book name and it'll take you to the corresponding Goodreads page.

Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare


I downloaded this highly anticipated sequel to Lady Midnight on my iPhone and am really looking forward to getting stuck in. Cassandra Clare fans are loving this series, and I've heard great things about this book, so I didn't want to wait any longer to read it.

From the cover, I get the feeling that it's going to get a lot darker in this book, which will be really interesting. I really enjoyed the first book in the Dark Artifices series, which of course is a part of the Shadowhunter Chronicles, so I'm excited to see how things pan out in this book. The ending to Lady Midnight hinted at so much....

I would normally tell you a little about Lady Midnight, but it's not that simple: The Dark Artifices series is a follow-on series to the Mortal Instruments series, taking place after the events of the 6th and final book in that series. Plus, there was another series, the Infernal Devices series ~ almost like a prequel series, but not quite ~ that also has to be read before starting this series. So it's hard to set the scene for Lord of Shadows.

All I can say about Lady Midnight is that, writing-wise, it felt like the most accomplished of Clare's work. Read my review of Lady Midnight in my April Wrap-Up post.

And finally...

Stone of Fire (ARKANE #1) by J.F. Penn


Another e-book; I downloaded this free series starter from Amazon. This series is billed as 'Dan Brown meets Tomb Raider', or something like that, which, in my opinion, can't be a bad thing. I like Dan Brown. I liked the Tomb Raider films.

This will be my first J.F. Penn book, and if it's as good as everyone's saying, then I should really like this one, because I do like my Dan Brown-style thrillers.

I've tried not to learn too much about the plot, which is how I prefer it, but click on the book name if you want to get an idea on what this book is about.


I really hope I can get through all these books in September; they all sound so good. I'll review them at the end of the month, so make sure to come back for that :)

Thank you for reading this post. If you're interested in my debut novel, click the image below to learn more about it:




Like all my other books, it's also available on:
iBooks   |   B&N Nook   |   Kobo |   Smashwords 


Book Details

Length: 110,000 words
Genre: Contemporary Romance / Clean Romance / Diverse Romance / Interracial Romance / Romantic Drama / Women’s Fiction

Mood: Inspirational / Feel Good / Coming of Age / Dark
Content: Sexy but No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: New Adult & College / Adult / Female Readers

Recommended for: Readers that enjoy romance novels with serious issues and characters with depth. This is a story about life, love, friendship, family, music, art, destiny and soul mates.


And the first two books in my teen urban fantasy/YA paranormal romance series, the Poison Blood series, can be downloaded for free via:

Amazon US|  Amazon UK|   iBooks US UK   |   B&N Nook Store   |   Smashwords







PB1 Book Details
Length: 29,000 words
GenreYA Paranormal Romance / Teen Vampire Romance / Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy / Teen & YA Urban Fantasy / Young Adult Science Fiction & Fantasy / Supernatural Romance / Fantasy Romance
Mood: Dark / Humorous / Coming of age
Content: No violence / No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: Teen / Young Adult / New Adult / Adult
Recommended for: Readers that love all things related to the Chosen One, vampires, slayers and witches!



By signing up to my mailing list, you will receive e-mails when I run free or discounted book offers and news on any new/upcoming releases.